Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My First Day Teaching

My first day teaching was fantastic!

This cold January morning, started off real early. I went bed early last night (around 8) and was wide awake at 4:30 am. I talked myself into staying in bed until 5:00 am. At 5 I got up took a shower, got dressed, had a wonderful breakfast (peach oatmeal, apple sauce, and cranberry juice…mmm) and then I was off to one-on-one tutor a young boy that I have been working with since October. I met Logan at 7:00 at a local elementary school, four miles from our home. I was so happy to see him! I missed the little guy! We worked on spelling and he did so well! It was a perfect start to a perfect day!

I then travelled back home and to see my husband! (He took these fine photos that I am sharing with you!) He wanted to wish me away on my first day! How sweet of him! I travelled on into town and was in my classroom by 8:45ish!
My day really doesn’t begin until 11:00 am. I got to school early this morning to make sure everything was ready to go for the day! I graded some work that my students completed yesterday with the substitute, entered grades into my grade book, planned some lessons for later this week, and then it was TIME!! My nervous jitters were getting to me!

My first class of the day: I was SUPER nervous at first, I am sure they could sense that at first, but I got relaxed after the first five minutes or so. Everything went great! The kids are bright and their enthusiasm shows me that they are ready to learn! With each class I went over classroom expectations and procedures. I had students create a journal. We will be doing a lot of journal writing, daily we will use our journals. They enjoyed creating these journals. I then have two CORE classes: They are only with me for 25 minutes each day! It’s going to be a BUSY 25 minutes, but hopefully productive as well! The following hour I have a RED/WHITE rotating class. I only have each class every other day. It’s a small class, but they are hard working kids! Sixth Hour: I have my planning period this hour of the day. I met with my Student Teaching supervisor and got some things lined out today! She is such a nice and helpful lady! The last hour of the day was super! It’s great to know that I have a great group at the end of the day! They are fifth graders, I feel like I have more experience with the younger ones. They were all so happy to be there and I was happy too!

I am anxious for tomorrow! I cannot wait to spend each day working with each one of these kids! It was a FANTASTIC first day and I look forward to many more GREAT days!!



My First Day: January 12, 2010


Sporting my Vera "teacher" bag!

Away I go!!

3 comments:

Mallory said...

Yay! Sounds like a great day!!! :) Good luck tomorrow!

Ashley said...

YAY! So glad you had a great first day. And you looked adorable doing it, too! Look at all that snow- aren't you freezing?!

Ashley Hamby said...

YES! I was freezing! Its been so cold here in MO, but this week has been great! Its been in the low 50's each day! Thanks, this week has been the BEST!!