Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Election Day


Yesterday was a HUGE day that we have been waiting and working for, for a very long time. My Mama has served on the West Plains R-7 School Board for two terms (6 total years) and done an outstanding job! I am a little partial! She is the only woman on the school board and holds her own, let me tell ya! She has been involved in so many great things our district has done for their students, teachers, and staff! She gets to do all the girl things on the board. She is the designer in most everything! She gets to pick colors or paint, brick, rock, landscaping! How fun would that be? She is quite a lady and this post is dedicated to her and all her hard work!

I was her campaign manager this for this election...HAHA! I got a lot of flyer's printed and billboards made. It’s been a lot of fun! I think I missed my calling…POLITICS! I LOVELOVELOVE it! We really weren’t too worried in her loosing the race, but we took every precaution not to!

There was also another big item on this year’s school election ballot…Proposition Two. Proposition Two was a Bond Issue that could have possibly lead to a new and much needed Early Childhood Center added to the current WP Elementary School and a new and also much needed gymnasium at South Fork Elementary School (The school I attended Kindergarten through 6th Grade). This school is definitely part of our family. My Great Aunt, Dad, Brother, Sister, and I have all attended this great school! This is what my Mom calls her, “baby.” She takes care of this small and wonderful place! This school was built 50 years ago and has very little done to it since then. It was all in the hands of the voters yesterday to decide if we could “Put Kids First” and pass this bond!

This what the new addition would have looked like. The new addition is on the far right. The current building is to the left.

Josh and I awoke bright and early yesterday morning, 5:00 a.m. I started my day campaigning at South Fork at 6:45 a.m. and then travelled into town and campaigned at various polling sites throughout the day, as did Josh, my Mom, and her close friend. Dad was tied up working all day! We worked the polling sites hard all day long…rooting for Mom as well as PROP. 2! We heard mixed emotions all day on PROP 2. but really wasn’t worried about Mom. The elderly were definitely against the slight tax increase but we were still positive and hopeful for this wonderful thing! The polls closed at 7:00 p.m.

At 7:00 p.m. we went to the watch party! It was a lot of fun! We had pizza and soda’s and got to visit with all the school officials. Shortly after 7:00 the results were coming in. There were around 2,600 total votes casted yesterday. Pretty low for school bond elections. Mom WON her seat once more with a total of 1,117 votes! YAY!! Although, PROP 2. did not pass. I was super disappointed. We have all put so much time, effort, and money into this thing! It wasn’t even close…I do realize that it is a difficult time for people, but who could not turn down interest free money and construction costs at an all time low. Its very disappointing and I truly wish the citizens of this community realize what a great opportunity they have missed out on.


I am proud of all the hard work that West Plains R-7 staff and parents have put into this issue and I am super proud to be a ZIZZER!

The Districts Transportation Director and our Addison

Our little ZIZZER!

South Fork Elementary's Principal coming in from campaigning all day!

My Mama and her baby girl, Addison

The Districts Superintendent; Dr. Fred Czerwonka checking on the count!

Josh and I after a long day!

No comments: